Author Topic: British Army Barracks @1850  (Read 1291 times)

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Army Barracks @1850
« on: Sunday 07 March 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Per family history, Herbert Ward Syred died at Nenery (possibly Wenery, Winery, etc.) Barracks, Ireland  @1850.   

I'd appreciate any information about this place and information about the burial of British soldiers in Ireland at that time. 

Thanks, Jann

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: British Army Barracks @1850
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 March 21 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Nenagh or Newry are possiblities.
Both had BA barracks.

Normally no special arrangement, local graveyard.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 March 21 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Could it be Newry? Can you show the name on the document?
"Newry Military Barracks" article by John McCullagh 2005 "Newry Journal". Formerly the linen hall, bought by army in 19thC. Part of the town of Newry is in County Armagh and part in Co. Down.
https://www.newryjournal.co.uk/history/industrial-history/newry-military-barracks/

University College Dublin has begun a research project on the topic of military barracks built in Ireland 1690-1815. A map shows locations of 270 barracks in the country in 18th century. Click on a location for name of barracks. There is a list of barracks (with alternative names) in County Armagh.
https://barracks18c.ucd.ie

There is a website about garrison towns in Ireland. A search for the term Irish garrison towns should find it. Link I posted didn't work.

Other website have lists of barracks in individual counties and cities e.g. County Cork, Dublin.

Another town I thought it might have been is Nenagh, County Tipperary but I don't know if there was a barracks there.
Was Herbert Syred in the army? If you know the regiment you may be able to find out where it was at the time of his death.
I see Wexflyer also suggests Nenagh and Newry.

Cowban

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 21 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.  Yes, Herbert Syred was in the army.  That information appears on his daughter, Caroline Hannah Syred's, 1838 christening record .  Newry is definitely a possibility.  Maiden Stone, thanks for the links.

Another question:  Per census records Caroline Hannah was raised by her maternal grandparents.  Herbert, his wife Hannah, and the woman I believe is Herbert's mother do not appear in the 1840 or 1850 census.  Would Herbert have left his child in England and taken his mother to Ireland on a military deployment?

I know it's not possible to trace military records without knowing the soldier's regiment, but I'm interested in getting a general idea about what his life would have been like

Information and opinions welcomed!   Jann

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 21 22:39 GMT (UK) »

Another question:  Per census records Caroline Hannah was raised by her maternal grandparents.  Herbert, his wife Hannah, and the woman I believe is Herbert's mother do not appear in the 1840 or 1850 census.  Would Herbert have left his child in England and taken his mother to Ireland on a military deployment?

I know it's not possible to trace military records without knowing the soldier's regiment, but I'm interested in getting a general idea about what his life would have been like

Herbert may have left his child and perhaps his wife in England. Some army postings were unhealthy or otherwise unsuitable for soldiers' families. Only a small number of wives accompanied their husbands. A certain percentage were "on the strength" of the regiment and would be allowed to stay in married quarters and allocated rations. Married quarters in some barracks were basic, some were part of a room divided by a curtain. A ballot was held if there were more privates who wanted to take their wives than the number allocated .
Herbert's mother was unlikely to have accompanied him.
Was Herbert a private or an officer?
Local newspapers may have reported when a regiment arrived in a town or left.
There are online lists for some years of regimental deployments. They might be from the "Army Gazette". You can look up a year and browse it to see which regiments were on the move and where they went.
I contributed a post to a RootsChat thread which listed regiments in Ireland in 19thC. It might be in the section Ireland Resources on the Ireland board.
Have you looked for Herbert's military records in National Archives Discovery catalogue? I mean National Archives in England.
Where was Caroline baptised and which baptism register was she on? Were there any other children? There's an Overseas Births Register which began 18th century.
Have you found Herbert's widow on a later census? Have you looked for a 2nd marriage? She may have married another soldier. If she remained a widow she may have applied for assistance for herself and children. 
Cowban

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Caroline was christened in the parish church of Dorking, surrey.  "soldier" appears next to her father's name.  I presume he was a private.

No siblings for Caroline have come to light.

Hannah Syred appears in census records from 1861 to her death in 1892.  Always a " widow"

I've wondered if there was a failed immigration attempt, but nothing has turned up in those records.

Thanks for the info re: life in the barracks.

Jann

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 15:31 GMT (UK) »

I've wondered if there was a failed immigration attempt, but nothing has turned up in those records.

Thanks for the info re: life in the barracks.

Immigration to which country?

You'll probably find the  blog about garrison towns in Ireland interesting. Search internet for term garrison towns Ireland. Also look up Spike Island which was part of Cork garrison where many regiments were based.
Cowban

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 15:46 GMT (UK) »
There are no soldiers named Syred in the "British Army, Worldwide Index" for 1841.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk