Author Topic: WW2 Service record - accident/injury mystery  (Read 459 times)

Offline Patricia Houghton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 Service record - accident/injury mystery
« on: Saturday 14 December 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
This is an extract from my husbands uncle service papers who served in WW2 both overseas and at home.

21/8/1942 - From 164 Officer Cadet Training Unit, Barmouth, Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the South Lancashire Regiment
27/8/1942 - Posted from Barmouth to the 1 /4 South Lancashire Regiment located at Otley. Joined  the 1 /4 South Lancashire Regiment for duty
28/12/1942 - Medical Board undertaken. Classified Category E – Permanently Unfit at Pinderfields [Hospital] Wakefield
2/1/1943 - Not to proceed with [draft ?] R.B.W.G.Y. to return to unit.
Posted to no. 19 G.T.C. = General Transport Company (having been in hospital and away from unit over 21 days)
Quitted 1/4th South Lancashire regiment on being posted to no. 19 General Transport Company
12/3/1943 - To relinquish commission on account of ill health. To be granted honorary rank of 2nd Lieutenant

There is no mention in his records of what happened between joining the 1 /4 South Lancashire Regiment at Otley in August 1942 and him then being in Pinderfields in Wakefield in December 1942 and declared permanently unfit (previously he was A1 fit ).
Family memory believes there was an accident, possibly an explosion that left him with a limp.

What I really need to know is
1.   What does R.B.W.G.Y. mean – it is not in the list of army acronyms provided ?
2.   How do I get to, or who should I contact to find out what happened to  him which caused him ending up in hospital and ultimately having to relinquish his commission ?

Any help on either question or anything else that you think may be helpful, would be gratefully received

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Service record - accident/injury mystery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 December 19 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted the people from whom you obtained the service papers to ask them what it means?

Re medical records - I would have thought it unlikely that you will find anything relating to his medical history as these would be over 70 years old.  You could try writing to the hospital but I doubt that you would get anywhere.

Trust Headquarters and Education Centre
Pinderfields Hospital
Aberford Road
Wakefield
WF1 4DG
Tel: 01924 541000
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 December 19 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Could RBWGY be something else; is it clearly written?

Can you post an image of that section?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 December 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
My dad had one of those on his army file: "draft R.A.X.J.B". In his case it meant that he was one of a contingent being sent to West Africa in April 1945.

So it looks like your husband's uncle was about to be sent somewhere as part of a group or force, but was withdrawn because of his injury.

I haven't been able to find a key to these draft codes.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk