Author Topic: Uncle of wife of second cousin twice removed  (Read 1562 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Uncle of wife of second cousin twice removed
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 December 19 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I had two cases of apprentices living with family who went on to marry a daughter of household

My lot were poor and I'm always surprised to see servant ..on census  could be a way of giving board and lodging to a distant relative
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 December 19 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Great point craclyn
Also
I heard that my great grandmother took great pride in finding jobs for her children and stepchildren

The shop assistant  Mabel Jones who was working in George Smith ( her father)s fish shop was actually her step daughter
So my grandfather's half sister ..

I'm linked by DNA to her descendants and to the SMITH family but the shopkeeper and his assistant were not related .
She was his daughters step daughter .

So used to seeing Jones servants who are not connected that I missed her first time around ...

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 December 19 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I do add extended family and research/prove them......... in my ancestry on my grandfathers side they remained in the same tiny village for centuries back and I started to find that most/all of them married into other village families so they all seemed relevant and also gave me a great incite into the social history  to my research and the families.

My great grandfather was born/bap in one name ( his documented 'parents' who had 'just' married) but soon was being 'looked after' and brought up by his maternal grandparents ( who he remained with until he married) yet 'his parents' remained married all their life and had children who remained with them. So that confused me at the time. My great grandfather married twice both times he writes someone different as his father ( neither are his father) and his documented father was alive at the time of both of his marriages
Lots of strange/unanswered information came to my notice when researching that made me very suspicious about his 'paternal parent' and I never 'felt' his 'dads' family 'felt' like 'mine' when I was researching ( too much to document on here) but he changed his name to his mothers maiden name, then dropped his first name and used his middle name, later was the parish clerk and I could never find the older sister of his mums in any parish records, but did find her name in BT so he had access to PR, but not BT, when I compared the PRs/BTs at the records office, each and every mention of her name was either scratched out/page torn/ink blot.... it left me confused until her brother died, left a Will and her married name was in it...after many years of research I found her/husband and his name /surname is identical to my great grandfathers birth reg/bap with 'legal' fathers surname tagged on the end....long and short of it is when I researched his family they felt like 'mine' but legally and in documents they are not.

Only thing I could think of at that time was to get a photo of this man, which after 2 decades of searching and in the last few weeks I have done and he is the spitting image of my great grandfather, grandfather and uncle..now of course there is DNA which is what I will have to do should I want real proof ( of what I think)

So without researching all extended family I would never have found all that
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 December 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Wow Leah that's fascinating
It sounds like his birth father was probably not legal husband of mother ...so didn't want to bring him up ..I know of someone who changed name when found out true birth father and of cases where married couple took birth father to court for upkeep .
Yes DNA may help but you will have to hope for some less common surnames .I can't work out all connections to my great grandfather as other people s trees don't go hat far back .

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 December 19 17:22 GMT (UK) »

[/quote] so the housekeeper was clearly offering some extra duties in addition to the cleaning.
[/quote]

And I thought a bedwarmer, was a brass pan on a long pole. ;D
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 December 19 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I think about the most obscure "relative" I have added is my 2x great Grandfather's first wife's first husband's wife.
i am descended from GG Grandfather's second wife
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 December 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Marmalady that s the kind of thing I do if it helps distinguish family members 3 of my great grandparents had more than 1 spouse or lover .!
Sometimes the step families were as interesting as the half siblings

I thought my great grandmother didnt marry father of her baby because he was Jewish and a decade older but she went on to marry a Jewish man 20 years older I was intrigued by his family circumstances. But wonder if he is really birth father of mum's new half cousin as his DNA is quarter European rather than European Jewish like hers !

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 December 19 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Marmalady that s the kind of thing I do if it helps distinguish family members 3 of my great grandparents had more than 1 spouse or lover .!
Sometimes the step families were as interesting as the half siblings

I thought my great grandmother didnt marry father of her baby because he was Jewish and a decade older but she went on to marry a Jewish man 20 years older I was intrigued by his family circumstances. But wonder if he is really birth father of mum's new half cousin as his DNA is quarter European rather than European Jewish like hers !

As previously said I do it so I learn about the social history, try to work out how my ancestors lived their lives, who they knew.....basically we are all just nosey and human being also feel the need to 'make sense' of things ;D

I also did it ( at first) as my maternal ancestors were just boring, hard working people, stayed in one vllage for centuries, so easy to find their records, they just got on with their lives and then I found one married a rebel and was facinated by his life and the records I found, so it taught me about new records as well that I had never looked at before
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 December 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I've added a few obscure relationships, mainly because the name may be connected due to marriages of my nieces and the names and families being fairly local. Also I've found if you do a bit of research into the indirect relatives, you sometimes find info about the direct ones.

One of those I added was the MIL of my great uncle, she had an uncommon surname. Years later  I started to do a bit of research into my OH family tree the same uncommon name turned up in his tree and a bell rang in my head :D.  It was the same lady and she turned out to be my OH great grand aunt - so we have common relatives!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk