Author Topic: The vanishing Hamilton Family  (Read 2371 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The vanishing Hamilton Family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 December 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Well, that's a first. Information relevant to my family on Ancestry, 35 years after I started looking. Wonders will never cease :)

It's got it's good points a well a bad ones ..That's a long time you have been searching hopefully with a bit of luck you will find the other two

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 December 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Well, I haven't been looking for that specific nuclear family since 1984 - just family in general, and looking at potentially related families I have not been able to link to mine.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 December 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Did Adam have an occupation in the 1871?
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 December 19 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Did Adam have an occupation in the 1871?
Engineer unemployed.

Most of them seem to have gone in for some sort of engineering, except for Cleland, who went to Texas, was a hireling herding sheep in 1880, and died three years later. This seems curious. As is the fact that he made a will at the unusually young age of 23, shortly before leaving for Texas. Did he have a falling-out with the rest of the family, I wonder?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 December 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Engineer a pretty broad term.  Did you look him up to see what field of Engineering he graduated in?

There is an Electrical Engineer in Antrim also a Adam that died there in 1902 (don't know if they are one in the same).

There is an Adam age 38 who arrived NYC in 1888 on the Aller from Bremen. Has a German spouse and young child.

If he's a marine Engineer he could be anywhere.

Any idea what Cleland died of?

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 December 19 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Engineer a pretty broad term.  Did you look him up to see what field of Engineering he graduated in?

There is an Electrical Engineer in Antrim also a Adam that died there in 1902 (don't know if they are one in the same).

The one that died in 1902 was a farmer

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 December 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
He didn't graduate from the University of Glasgow. There are lots of versions of 'engineer' that don't involve graduation.

There were two deaths of Adam Hamiltons of roughly the right age in Ireland, a farmer in Belfast in 1902 and a carpenter in 1906. From the 1901 census the farmer was born in Antrim. I can't find a matching carpenter as such in 1901, but there is an Adam Hamilton, millwright, aged 56, which must be him, also born in Antrim. 

There is an Adam age 38 who arrived NYC in 1888 on the Aller from Bremen. Has a German spouse and young child.
I saw the ariival of an Adam Hamilton, 38, merchant in 1888, but have not been able to find him in any later census to check his birthplace. There's also a death of a child, daughter of Adam Hamilton, born Scotland, in Massachusetts in 1894, but again I have not found this Adam in a later census.

I can't look for a leter death in NI because the GRONI web site seems to be misbehaving.

Any idea what Cleland died of?
No. I looked for a death certificate but have yet to find one.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 December 19 18:28 GMT (UK) »
The death of the child in Massachusetts 1894 I would say her mother's name is Margaret Love
There is a marriage for Adam Hamilton and Margaret Love 1889 Massachusetts
Death for Adam Hamilton 26 Sept 1893 Massachusetts ( not your Adam )

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 December 19 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Finally found an obituary for Claud which confirms that he was survived only by his wife and one daughter, so one of the supposed two daughters must have predeceased her father.