Author Topic: Ancestry Common ancestors  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ancestry Common ancestors
« on: Friday 13 December 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I am a bit confused.

I always thought these represented matches, within whose tree you find an individual, or often a couple, who are also in your tree. The postulation is that these jount common ancestors are where our trees intersect, and from whom our 'matched' DNA has descended to us both.

I have found a few recent, low level common ancestors (green leaves), where the proposed common ancestors are not found in the matches tree, but a postulated descent is suggested using other 'third party' trees.  It's a bit like a cross between a common ancestor and 'Thrulines'.

Has it been like this for long?? I must have missed that discussion!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Common ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 December 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry does not give you anything for "absolute", what they give you is suggestions be they common ancestors or thrulines which it is for you to verify or reject.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 December 19 17:10 GMT (UK) »

I have found a few recent, low level common ancestors (green leaves), where the proposed common ancestors are not found in the matches tree, but a postulated descent is suggested using other 'third party' trees.  It's a bit like a cross between a common ancestor and 'Thrulines'.

Has it been like this for long?? I must have missed that discussion!

I think they've always been like that. I make a note when the lines don't connect where they say.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 December 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I think that 'common ancestors' and Thrulines are different ways of showing you the same information, and (at least since earlier this year when I got my first results), they always were created from any relevant trees that Ancestry has.  (I find myself impressed that one or two of my matches can be traced by Thrulines to a common ancestor, even though their own trees are minimal.)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 December 19 18:40 GMT (UK) »
It has not changed. It looks first at your tree and the tree of your match. If it cannot find any clues there as to how you might connect it then goes off and looks at the other millions of trees on Ancestry. If you click on the evaluate button on each link in the chain it will tell you where it pulled the suggestion from.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 December 19 20:25 GMT (UK) »
So it may simply have been that previous common ancestors have all been people who had trees and who had the ancestors in their trees, and who I could absolutly verify that the connection was correct, from either already knowing the family connection, and/or using a quick check at Scotland's People to tie down certificates etc., made easy by having large families who lived in stable areas, for 3-4 generations - so family names were well known to me.  The 2 new ones I found today were ithink, from side branches where a child moved to the USA about 100 years ago - time enough for 3-4 generations to marry people who have surnames from all over the world and I dont know!!
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 December 19 20:30 GMT (UK) »
The little leaves show up even when a matched DNA tree is not visible to public . I find the suggestions very useful and pretty accurate.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 December 19 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Common Ancestors and Thrulines appear to be the same information, presented very differently.

I don't like Thrulines at all, so much effort and so many clicks to reach the information you want. With Common Ancestors you can just click once if you see a potential match.  Like others, I am surprised that they can produce a likely CA where the other person has perhaps just 3 people in their tree, like one of mine.

I find even at the lower levels the connection seems very likely, but without cooperation from the match, not easy to verify.

Out of all my CA matches only two are definitely incorrect, others are plausible though unproven, most of them the connection appears to be the right one, though without a chromosome browser it is difficult to be certain.

But I don't think there has been any change that I can see.

I colour code each CA, easy to see if there are any new ones, also identify false ones.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 December 19 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Margaret really good info there!