Author Topic: Hello to everybody, and a little help please!  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Duckhook503

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello to everybody, and a little help please!
« on: Friday 29 November 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I would be very interested to find out a little more information, regarding my late Dads service during the 2nd World War. I have a number of puzzles. The sensible thing would have been to ask him I suppose. However unfortunately I left it much too late.
I have written to Glasgow, and I await a reply. In the meantime, curiosity is getting the better of me. I have a few original documents left behind by Dad. If anybody can throw any light!!
I have a Form W5258. Record of service. which states his rank as P/A/SQMS. and his service as.

G,S,C.         29/1/44 - 10-8-44
R.A.C.         11.8.44 - 12/12/44
R. SIGNALS 13/12/44 - 14/5/47

From your experiences, is this likely to be a complete record?

If you think it is, a couple of questions please

Bearing in mind that in 1944 Dad would have been 32. Why so late called up? Any clues?

P/A/SQMS ? I can manage QMS but what would P/A/S have signified.

If he did not join until 1944. Why did he receive The Africa Star?

Very happy to supply any other information that I have

Best Wishes to all

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hello to everybody, and a little help please!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 November 19 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Paid Acting Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant.

The Africa Star relates to service in Jun 40 to May 43 so you haven't got his earlier service.

MaxD

PS - Hello and welcome!
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Duckhook503

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 November 19 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Max.

Dad has been gone so long now, I cant see any reason not to provide Dads details

Anthony Mathastein 147 94 226.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 November 19 16:27 GMT (UK) »
For anything more you will need to wait for Glasgow unless his unusual name is recognised by someone.  His number is indeed in the block allocated to the General Service Corps, he would have been given it when he joined and retained it as he then served in the Royal Armoured Corps and the Royal Signals.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Service_Corps

His rank as SQMS was one above a sergeant,  He would have been first appointed from sergeant to unpaid acting SQMS and after a probationary period (sometimes on the same day!) granted pay of the rank.  Acting because he was not yet substantiated (fully confirmed) in his rank

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 January 20 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Regarding your question as to why your Dad was 32 when he was called up in 1944.
Do you know what his occupation was prior to being called up? My Dad was exempt from conscription because he was in a reserved occupation (pharmacist) - I've always been led to believe that he volunteered at a time when recruits were needed to train to operate the increased numbers of aircraft needed to replace those lost in battle (crew as well as aircraft). There might be a similar explanation for your Dad.
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 March 20 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Another 'off the wall' thought on why he joined up so late.  His name is unusual - is there any chance he would have had a German parentage/birth/background and so may not have been able to join up until the rules were relaxed a bit later in the war? 
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline Rosiemylove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 March 20 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello, If you go on the Forces War Records Site it has information on the people who fought in World War 2. It is a little limited on the info.
The fact that you are an immediate relative you can also get information regaurding your Father from the British Goverment.
I myself have recieved information from Navy Command Secretariat regarding my father.It does cost 25 pounds (British Money) to recieve this information but it is accurate.And it takes a little time for thier responce as they have to look through thier Files.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 March 20 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello, If you go on the Forces War Records Site it has information on the people who fought in World War 2. It is a little limited on the info.

From other posts on here about what is available on that site for WW2 I would not waste my money.  WW2 service records are still with the MOD and not available elsewhere

As OP posted this query in November last year I would hope that by now they have received the records from Glasgow that they had applied for
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk